PART 3

RESEARCH

SOPHIE CALLE

Sophie Calle is a photographer, installation and conceptual artist. Her work focus' on portraying human vulnerability and investigates identity and intimacy. Calle is recognised for her detective like ability to follow strangers and investigate their private lives.

I think Calles use of black and white 35mm photography here aids to create stark vivid imagery depicting unusual subject matter. The simplistic minimalistic nature to the images helps to capture a clear graphic image of the subject matter which almost draws the viewer into the story. 

I am really interested in the way that Calle captures and presents a story line.  Taking inspiration from this, I will apply her photographic style when documenting images in Commune. 

I am also really interested in how she follows strangers, its almost comical. In commune I won't go to such lengths as to break into someones house or stalk them, but I will aim to be more mindful of the people around me as there is always so much more going on around us that we are aware of. 

SOPHIE CALLE

SOPHIE CALLE

BIG TYPE

The book Big Type explores a range of typography within graphic design. In this first example I have been interested in the random and no consistent alignment of the text. The dynamic variation in the text and colour overlay is really visually interesting. This playful nature to the piece really aids to draw the viewer in.

In the second image, I was interested in the arrangement of colours and publication layout. I think that the contrast between negative space, block colour and imagery really helps to create and interesting and engaging spread design. 

BIG TYPE

BIG TYPE

BIG TYPE

IDRIS KHAN

Drawing inspiration from the history of art and music as well as key philosophical and theological texts, Idris Khan investigates memory, creativity and the layering of experience.

His photography is an almost manuscript of the content animated by Khan's hand moving and layering. This technique evokes our linear experience of time and place resulting in an eerie aesthetic suggesting the subconscious relationship between our primary experiences and the memories which we have of these; the layering imagery presents an echo of what we know and what we think we know. 

The solidity and accuracy of Khan's images refers to the remnants of information in the technical age; he encourages a slower and more mindful way of looking and responding to experience and information. 

Prison Type Gasholders suggests a sense of time portrayed through movement. Khan successfully transports the old dishevelled building into a discarded obsolete black and white presentation almost sending it into the future; the layers and shadowed imagery presents a still of the location. The circular motion of the layered image creates a sense of energy, as if the image could be 200 years as well as 200 years into the future.  

Taking inspiration from this I want to look into how we display information/ compositions and what they mean to us. His use of layering helps to construct a complex image as there is so much depth to the information which he displays.  

IDRIS KHAN

IDRIS KHAN

LEONOR ANTUNES

WHITE CHAPEL

Leonor Antunes: the frisson of the togetherness.

Leonor Antunes worked on commission to investigate why young proper bring together elements of style to define their identity and social alliances. 

In the frission of the togetherness, as you enter the room there is a selection of sculptures, rope, lights and dividers. The artist has also covered the floor with geometric shapes. Her aim to create layers and shaping the viewers journey through the space. Initially when I entered the room I was slightly perturbed at the objects and didn't see the point in it. However after I looked up on my phone what the piece was about I began to really understand and enjoy the experience due to the meaning behind it. Its really interesting to see how much objects around us have a subconscious impact on our daily decisions. 

In my understanding of the piece, I felt that Antunes created a metaphorical system in which the different layers act as the different groups or defining styles/features which young people separate themselves with. Its as is we have an instinctive or destiny-like path that we all fall into our appropriate ones and won't go a different way. 

Antunes successfully transports the audience through a specified journey. I find this really interesting as the viewer you are completely submerged within her work and at the mercy of her intent. I think that experimenting with similar principles within my work will be affective as my work is about my experience, so maybe using similar qualities will be a useful in presenting a journey. 

LEONOR ANTUNES

EDDIE PEAK

"There’s often a sort of quest for identity in my work"

In the exhibition 'Concrete Pitch' by Eddie Peake, Peake presents an autobiographical scene in which he uses the themes desire, the body, architecture and urban landscape. He bases the immersive journey around his upbringing in Finsbury Park presenting an almost self portrait of his childhood as a cosmos of urban and multicultural society. Playing in the exhibition he has Kool FM in a DJ booth which is the longest running underground station; this provides the soundtrack to Peaks upbringing during the 90s. 

Love letter to Finsbury Park

Eddie Peak successfully creates a scene were he  vividly portrays his childhood an influences. I am really interested in the way by he takes the viewer on his journey throughout his life.  As well as his use of art works, Peake's use of fragmented mark making against vibrant colours is really visually stimulating. I think that this style of harsh contrasted colours overlaid with marks is aseptically pleasing and helps to catch the attention of the viewer. 

I think that the way Peake uses sound to support his work really adds to create a sensory journey. Going to the exhibition really helped me to understand the importance of sound and sensory influences when presenting a personal experience. I think using sound will be an important part of my project as it is so integral to the way we understand information. 

EDDIE PEAKE

EDDIE PEAKE

EYE AND BRAIN BY RICHARD L. GREGORY

Eye and Brain is a book written by Richard L. Gregory exploring the psychology of seeing. Within the book Gregory explores the basic phenomena of visual perception. 

When reading this book I was particularly interested in the text bellow. He speaks about the influence of emotions and how this distorts our perceptions and understandings of things. 

"Our appreciation of symbols has immeasurable extended ancient responses  so surrogate pictures, and words and music, evoke ancient emotions related to surviving and reproducing ourselves"

Even when looking at the psychology behind how we understand and interoperate information, its interesting how music and general experience can influence us. This has shown me how important sound ad visual imagery is when trying to produce work with an intent, as well as a general understanding of interpreting concepts. 

EYE AND BRAIN

DAVID HOCKNEY

David Hockney accidentally discovered the affects of collage when working on a painting of a living room and terrace in Los Angeles during the 60s. When documenting the location through polaroids to achieve a wider vision of the piece, he took a series of polaroids of the living room and stuck them together, not intending to make a composition. Hockney realised that he created a narrative as if the viewer was walking through the room. From this he began extensive collage works as he wanted to overcome the limited perspective of a camera. 

In the following piece, Hockney powerfully constructs a portrait by using scale to enhance key features of the subject. I think visually this is a really interesting piece as you almost don't know where to look. Hockney cleverly draws the viewers attention to a range of different perspectives of the composition, not just one singular portrait, but a range of mini ones which aids the overall depiction of the subject as we receive several  different perspectives at once.

DAVID HOCKNEY

DAVID HOCKNEY

Ana Teresa Fernandez

Ana Teresa Fernandez

FOREIGN BODIES:

Ana Teresa Fernandez was inspired by Zora Neale Hurston’s essay “How it Feels to Be Colored” which presents the idea that within our society, your skin or race is the point to all opportunity and failure.  She references the religious offering in Yucatan Peninsula where virgins were tied to rocks and thrown into the water as offerings to gods. She creates a moving response to this in which presenting an alternate opportunity where these women are given the chance to be carried to the top of the water. 

I have decided to look at this piece as I think that Fernandez powerfully communicates as message in an emotive and thoughtful way. I would like to apply her communicative skills to my work as I think it is very affective in impacting the viewer

Ana Teresa Fernandez

Ana Teresa Fernandez

RICHARD LONG

"Art about mobility, lightness and freedom.
Simple creative acts of walking and marking
about place, locality, time, distance and measurement.
Works using raw materials and my human scale
in the reality of landscapes."

SAHARAH LINE 1988

Richard Long creates artworks based on the physical action of walking in natural environments. He uses his personal physical journey of walking from A to B and as his process of making a mark. Long then uses a collection of natural elements within the landscape where he walks and organises them in such a way to present his physical journey of where he has walked.

I think that Long effectively communicates his journeys visually. It is really interesting the way in which he presents this through natural form. I would like to incorporate showing the process of a journey into my work as I think it is interregnal to my project in showing a journey or experience. 

RICHARD LONG SAHARA LINE 1988

RICHARD LONG MUD CIRCLE

Sean van den Steenhoven

Sean van den Steenhoven is a freelance Graphic designer based in Amsterdam. I was attracted to his work as I think that his work is effective in understand and receiving information. His use of tape contrasted with text and negative space helps to draw out key features of the structures within the piece. 

I have taken inspiration from his minimalistic approach to producing end products. His work within typography is effective and I want to adapt his process to put emphasis on the hierarchy of typography to clearly communicate information.

Sean van den Steenhoven

Sean van den Steenhoven

Sean van den Steenhoven

Nicolai Howalt, Light Break – Photography / Light Therapy

Howalt explores the research of scientist and Nobel laureate Niels Ryberg Finsen’s (1860-1904), based on an original use of chemical rays of light in the treatment of skin diseases. 

She created a range of analogy photography light marks, I was drawn to this piece in the foam gallery due to its vibrant colours. I was just surprised with how fascinated I was of the piece as a collective due to its range in colours and mark making. 

DICTIONARY DEFINITION

MAN RAY

CASEBOOK

Casebook is an impressionist view of contemporary independent film making. This publication which I bought explores a range of independent film stills.

I think that this publication was very successful in creating an engaging piece of material which affectively captures the nature of each film. In the image bellow there is a clear selection of stills which are accompanied by large areas of black. This contrast helps to draw out the melancholic tone of the scene. I think that this process of isolation is really powerful and communicative to the viewer. 

In the second image there is a small date in yellow text at the bottom of the image. The size of the text is appropriate as it doesn't take away from the image, yet we are still brought to its attention due to the use of yellow. 

INDEPENDENT FILM CULTURE

INDEPENDENT FILM CULTURE

INDEPENDENT FILM CULTURE

DICTIONARY DEFINITION