Collection: PART 3

COMMUNE

DAY 1

POPPY'S DAY

Today was our first day of commune,it was Poppy's day where overall we walked and covered most of Amsterdam. The initial excitement of being in a new country really meant that we were all able to achieve and make the most of the day, at the end of the day when we checked our steps we had walked 21, 962 steps.

This morning we woke up at 9am and were out walking trying to find somewhere for breakfast by 10,n we went to a quaint cafe which had high wide windows which curved around our table, we were here for about an hour doing observational drawing. I found this exercise a gentle introduction to the day and really helped to set us up for the day. We then walked around and then went to foam the gallery. We spent quite a while in the gallery doing more observational drawing. This was a good way to breakdown clear components of the work which I was particularly attracted and inspired by. It was interesting when looking back onto the drawings from the gallery, most of my responses were close up sections of artwork layered on top of other pieces of work creating an amalgamation of responses and perspectives. I think that initially its interesting to look at the restored perspective of things and to see how we can manipulate and interpret different view points and connotations.

The day continued with walking to the front of the Hermitage museum, however we didn't go to any exhibitions as we didn't have enough time before it closed to have a good look so we decided to come back tomorrow. Instead we sat infront of the museum on a platoon and did some drawings of the architecture. I found this really enjoyable appreciating the different and historical architecture, it was really rewarding experience just taking in the elegant structures. After this we got some dinner then returned to our hostels.

After today I found it very enjoyable being so present and not having the distractions of mobile phones and appreciating the soft and relaxed energy of Amsterdam and the culture. For the rest of the trip I would like to take more photos as I felt almost distracted by the location and new scenery that I didn't take as much as I would have liked. Also, the fluid nature of the day and how we all interacted with one another meant that everything was a much more positive experience.

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

The use of colour film really helps to draw out the defining features of this image. The colour green helps to create a vivid and incising image. I think that the clouded filter across the window adds an enigma to the image as you can't see the content of whats actually inside the house, but the filter captures the outlines of defining lines from within the house. This injects this sense of wanting to know whats going on inside which I find really interesting. 

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

Sophie Calle Inspired Photography

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

DAY 2

MY DAY

Today was very successful. We started the day by taking the bus and tram to Vondel Park. Entering the park I spoke to my group members, asking many questions and got them to be mindful and conscious of people around us. We walked to one of the ponds and got everyone to sit on separate benches next to each other and asked my group to draw the sounds within the park for 20 minutes. I did this exercise to try and get them to be present to the moment which helped to set a nice and mellow mood for the rest of the day. It was really nice to be sitting alone on the bench as it was our first moment the whole trip that was separate from each other; if found the excise therapeutic and reflecting upon the outcomes I thought all my markings were appropriate representations of the tranquility of the setting.

After this we walked to a fancy dress shop where Poppy and I bought wigs which was an essential part of our day. It was fun having people on the streets looking at us and people making comments as we were walking around. The wigs created this superficial element of fun, us almost laughing at the people laughing at us. I didn't realise how much of an impact wearing a defining piece of material would have not only on our day but looking at the motion of having a defining feature and why people react the way they do, even in a positive or negative way.

We then walked to a cafe and did observational drawing sitting at the window. Using ink was a pivotal moment in my documentation of the trip as the fluid easy material made it easier to express energies and suggestive technique in capturing a moment. Sitting in the window gave us a great viewpoint for people watching. I was intrigued by the characters which walked pass us, I wanted to capture this so I began to draw as quick as I could the faces as they passed by. I really enjoyed the task of trying to capture these characters before I forgot what they looked like.

After this, I took my group to the Cloud Gallery to see the exhibit "The Scape". The Scape uses nature and urban photography as a metaphor to bring together coexisting ideas and reflections that are shown from different perspectives, the photographer and the viewer. It is not strictly about the physicality of the natural or urban landscape but rather about how it is shaped and revealed.

What was special about the gallery was that it was all 1 big room which a large dinning table in the middle. At the back there was of course a fully organic and gluten free bar where we could refresh ourselves with freshly pressed kale juices. After looking round the gallery, we sat on the table and captured parts of the work in our documentation books. This really helped to define what we liked about each piece and why, specifically focusing on elements where that be energies or physical aspects.

After this we stopped for some food and a small cafe. An exercise that I use in my drama class for improvisation is called 'we can' which is a game where within a time frame you cannot stop saying something you can do and have to keep going until the time runs out. I decided to do this exercise to test the limits in which our imagination can go, as well as to gain an understanding in the difference of what my group said.

we can

my birthday drinks in brinkleys

we went to the moon

realised we were tripping went to hospital

became doctors

treated our selves

scolorship to harvard 

billionaires in bitcoin coin trading

bought harvard 

sold for €1 destroyed the whole iv league system

bought a peng house in dam 

then bought dam

then rehab

meant kanye west

joined his crew

assinatwd the kardashians

framed kanye west

it failed

on the run

boat to island

to continue commune

rosie fucks the commune and kills us all

Immersive Photography

In the following 3 images, I was really interesting in capturing a neutral point of view so the viewer feels immersed within the content. I think that this is an effective position to feel present within the composition.  

Immersive Photography

Immersive Photograhy

Immersive Photography

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

DAY 3

VERNETTA'S DAY

Day 3 was Vernetta's day, as it was our last day in Amsterdam, we walked around for the whole day doing lots of observational drawing. Although we didn't have a clear plan, it was actually helpful to be present and reflect upon the trip. It allowed me to think more in-depth where I could see my project going after commune.

I have been interested in how visual aspects can influence our understanding of information that we receive through our eyes. After experimenting with photography inspired by Sophie Calle, I found that when reviewing my photos, I thought that the images had an almost timeless nature to them, as well as crated interesting interpretations to the content.

Vernetta, Location

Green

Poppy, Sound

Image

Image

Image

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES

NOTE PAGES