Collection: PART 3

PPP

PROJECT PROPOSAL

UPDATED BIBLIOGRAPHY

75 WORDS ABOUT MY WORK

After recently struggling with memory  problems, I have decided to present my own visual hierarchy since dealing with this issue. I have investigated how we receive information through our eyes. I have presented my own visual hierarchy by using scale, colour and volume to show what is more/less important and significant within my memory and how I remember it. 

EVALUATION

In my proposal I planned to investigate visual hierarchy and how we receive information through our eyes. I did this by producing a body of work which emulates my visual journey since September after suffering impaired memory issues. 

I used colour, photography, film and typography as mediums to explore different ways to present my visual hierarchy over the last year. 

Initially I was investigating behavioural characteristics and identity. However, commune was a pivotal moment in defining a more personal realisation of what direction I wanted my project to head towards.

David Hockney’s selection of key components in photography when creating a composition caught my attention due to him visually emphasising on points of importance. This lead me to experiment with collaging and isolating areas of images to show key components in my own compositions. As well as Eddie Peake’s Concrete Pitch exhibition, being physically taken on a journey through his up bringing I became emotionally in-tune with the artist. This led me to incorporate a moving image piece with a range of different audio samples to try and create the same sensory experience. 

I found that once I started using my own personal experiences in the work I was producing, I became more passionate about my project. As the project progressed I found that the work became more in depth as I explored more techniques  to experiment with.  My scale piece potentially lacked meaning in presenting a personal memory but the use of a triptych is something I thought technically worked very well with our set brief. On the other hand, I felt that my video I had produced from a series of clips from my personal life over the last year had more of an emotive and personal tone to it, thus creating a more conceptual driven element to my outcome. 

Considering I have achieved a range of outcomes based around my personal project proposal, if I had more time on it I would plan on making another video. However, a more documentary style of film. I would take new footage over the next 3 months but with more of a focus on key parts of my personal life.

I think that if I had conducted more research into the science behind memory and how we understand information through our eyes I could have been able to produce a body of work which would not only be personal to me but others would be able to empathise with it.

I felt that at the start of the project I wasn't particularly inspired or had a clear idea of what direction I was going in. However, I found the thought process behind the scale project sparked my motivation towards the project as I started to push a more conceptual element which heavily influenced my videos and final publication.

Overall, I am very happy with the body of work I have produced over the last 7 weeks. My final publication has successfully answered my project proposal and is something that I am very proud of. My choice of sizing and paper selection was key to the publication and I believe it compliments the content very well.

WEEKLY PLANS